How to Ignite Your Child’s Passion for Reading?3 min read
If you are a bookworm, then you can help your kid to get more involved in reading and if he/she is finding it hard or boring, you can become a light for the kids. You can tell them about the benefits of book reading and how it will help them not only in school but also in the future. You can tell the kids how you used to read books even when you were pregnant. You can also tell your children about the stories when you used to read novels by sitting at the last bench at school. You can also tell them stories of how you used to get books from college libraries and finish them within a day.
Strategies to develop a love for reading in kids
- Download audiobooks for the kids. When they see how the person is reading, they might develop an interest in it.
- It all starts with parents, usually, parents are the role model for children. What they do, kids love to imitate. Hence parents can be a great motivator for kids towards reading.
- You can also develop a scenario based on the theme of the story. For example, if the story in the book is related to a horror movie, just put some white and black curtains into the room and keep the night lamp on. It will be fun, and kids are going to enjoy it much more.
- You must celebrate writers. You must ask the kids about their favorite writers and ask them to do something exciting on their birthday and recite their favorite poems or stories of those writers.
- You can also open a small library in your house. One room should be kept for it. It will enhance the passion for reading in kids.
Why is reading important for a child’s development?
Reading is very important as it develops cognitive skills and provides different techniques of cognitive development. If you are reading a book aloud, it increases the curiosity of the child and helps him/her in the process of imagination. Sometimes they search for themselves in a character of the novel.
- They start to learn how this world works.
- Reading improves the functioning of the brain.
- It increases vocabulary.
- It expands the theory of mind.
- It also sharpens memory.
- It also helps with writing skills.
- It assists with concentration too.
Now, how to Ignite the kid’s passion for reading? You can start with telling them stories when they go to sleep. It helps a lot. They will ask you to read them the next day. It will slowly increase their passion. You can talk to your kids about various kinds of genres. Every person has a different taste in books, try to find which genre your kids love. For example, action is loved by boys, and fairy or princess books are loved by girls.
You can also ask them about Shakespeare or other classic novels. People usually love to see how old English was written. You can give them one book each day to read in 3-4 days and then the other after it. Reading has been very significant when it comes to school. Children will have very good reading skills and they can go well at additional subjects as well or they can impress the teachers too.
Have you ever heard about Reading eggs? It’s a website that gives instructions to the kids about reading. It’s a great site. Go google it right now. This site is also helping kids with words and learning vocabulary. You can also try this for free. How cool is that?
I hope all these tips will help you with igniting the passion of reading in kids. Grab a book and coffee and start working on it.