How to Draw a Sea Otter?3 min read
Sea otters are really cute animals. If you are looking for an easy step-by-step drawing tutorial for your child to learn how to draw different animals, this is perfect. Art projects are always enjoyable when they are done just for fun as compared to when kids are forced to do them as an obligation. Your child will love this little drawing project as well as learn something interesting in the process.
What is a Sea Otter?
A sea otter is a marine otter species and part of the weasel family. These mammals are carnivorous and feed on mostly crabs, shellfish and sea urchins. They have a thick and luminous coat that can be reddish brown to dark brown. A sea otter can reach anywhere between 40 to 65 inches or 100 to 160 centimeters in length and can weigh anywhere between 35 to 90 pounds or 16 to 40 kgs.
Although sea otters are carnivores themselves, they are still hunted by other sea creature predators. They spend most of their time in the ocean but do come to shore occasionally to escape predators, rest or even warm themselves up.
Sea Otter Fun Facts
Here are some fun facts about Sea Otters
- Sea otters have about 26,000-165,000 hair per square centimeters of skin.
- Sea otters usually have a favorite rock that they carry either in their paws or in a pouch under their forearm. This rock is used to smash shellfish open.
- About 90% of the world’s sea otters live in coastal Alaska.
- Sea otters eat basically 25% of their body weight in food every day.
- Sea otters have the thickest skin of any animal.
- Sea otters can float on their backs.
Now that you know a few fun facts and interesting information about sea otters, let’s start drawing!
What Materials are Required to draw a Sea Otter?
To draw a sea otter, you will need:
- Drawing Paper
- Black Marker
- Crayons/Color Pencils
How Long will it take to Draw a Sea Otter?
It may take kids about 45 minutes to draw a sea otter.
How to Draw a Sea Otter?
When drawing anything, it is always best to use drawing guides. Guides provide a reference point that helps while drawing. To make a guide, you will need to either draw dotted lines with your pencil – horizontally and vertically or fold your drawing paper in these two ways.
Now that you’re ready, let’s draw a sea otter! Follow these easy steps to draw a sea otter
- Start by drawing an oval egg shape that’s laying on its side.
- Add a round head and connect the head to the body with a long neck.
- Now draw the sea otter’s face and ears.
- Also, draw the sea otter’s whiskers and add a neckline.
- Make the chin and add two front legs for your sea otter.
- Start drawing part of the back leg.
- Now draw the sea otter’s tail and foot.
- Now add details to the background.
- Outline your sea otter with a black marker and fill it with color.
We hope you enjoyed drawing this sea otter!